Saturday, March 26, 2005

Spotted in the APC.

A letter in today's Appleton Post Crescent contains an interesting comment.

Fee increase insurance policy for outdoors

On March 11 you ran an article by Ed Culhane refuting claims that the state is trying to balance the budget on the backs of hunters and fishers. I agree with Department of Natural Resources Secretary Scott Hassett. Those claims are wrong.

As a Wisconsin fisher, I am very concerned about the condition of our state's fishing resources. And as a citizen, I am anxious to do my part to improve those and other state natural resources. The proposed fee increase is our insurance policy to keep resources protected and healthy.

Our society has an amazing urge to get things cheaply, easily and quickly. Money is dribbled away on all sorts of things that fill our homes and garages or satisfy urges to smoke, drink, gamble, etc. Because money is tight, I need to prioritize what is important.
[emphasis added]

Really? Who would have thought people in our society have an "urge to get things cheaply, easily and quickly." Wow, what a completely amazing observation. Deb, you are not an eight-ball but you are obviously a wizened observer of the American. You need to get on the talk radio circuit your wisdom and insight needs to be shared! I am totally awed in your presence! That last comment about prioritizing is way deep.

Enough! Hahaha anyway I generally find myself on the same side as Deb here. Fishing and hunting is a privelege not a right and those who wish to engage in the sport need to realize they need to pay for it. Too often fee increases are lumped together with tax increases, and usually I see this is not the case. I hunt a bit and I fish a bit and I gripe about the increases in license costs but I am not going to force those who do not engage in those activities to subsidize them for myself.


Spending a few dollars more to ensure quality natural resources is much more important to me than most other things I can spend it on. And, good fish in our lakes and streams can translate into supper on the table —not a bad investment after all.

Deb Manske,

Clintonville
|