Thursday, December 03, 2009

The Tiger Hunt

Tiger Woods is human after all.

Yes, I am sure I am not the first to make that observation. However, I am not at all interested in his affairs and his marital problems. On the other hand, when the inevitable discussion about his fading (this is a discussion that is not yet started) golf skills starts that is one I will listen to and perhaps participate in.

This fascination we have the personal lives of celebrities is something worth talking about. Celebrities are often set up as larger than life as infallible and when they fail we need to talk about it. To some extent I think some of that talk and focus is due to a crabby mentality that people see Tiger failing at something and harumphing over that.

Another aspect is a desperate attempt to connect ourselves to him. We want to know as much about the celebrities we admire because we would like to become acquainted with them and would like the opportunity to become their friends. Most of us will never become "friends" with Tiger Woods so we do the next best thing, we try to know as much about him as possible. A lot of money is made in publishing and selling fan magazines and this fascination with Tiger's problems should be taken to mean this phenomena is not limited to children or teens.

However, there is an irony in this. If a person starts to pry into your affairs what is your reaction? It is to become offended and accuse them of prying and perhaps of being a gossip. The golden rule states do unto others as you would have them do unto you. So, this is my approach on the Tiger Woods affair(s). It is none of my business and while I hope him and his wife can patch things up I am not going to follow the story. In short, I'ld sooner watch The History Channel's UFO Files than ESPN's coverage of the Tiger affair.

Of course, some will point out Tiger's celebrity earns him millions and that he needs to understand with those earnings comes life in a fish bowl.

Labels: , ,

|