Saturday, March 26, 2005

Social Security Privatization.

AFAIK, I have not yet blogged on social security privatization.

The one thing most notable about social security privatization is the abject dishonesty of the plan's opponents. Neal Boortz publishes the following letter:

I am 55 and will not be able to privatize any of my SS. Therefore, I view my role as a myth destroyer and encourager to those younger (and older) than me. Neal, why do other seniors think the whole system is going private? My mother-in-law (83 years old) actually thought she would have to invest all of her SS and she would not receive her check. I think we have convinced her she will see no change. My normally intelligent sister-in-law (56 year old) had the same fears. How can the average citizen who is not a news junky be informed. Help! Kathy [emphasis added]

Indeed. This belief among those receiving social security is common for one reason. The opponents of this plan are blatantly misrepresenting the plan! Not too long ago I saw an editorial cartoon with two old people opening the mail. The man said to his wife: No its not our social security check, its Enron stock.

Of course people who read the editorial page are more informed than the average citizen and this is what they get?
|