Thursday, February 02, 2006

Mohd Cartoons Or No?

There is a campaign underway for blogs to publish all or some of the offending Danish Mohd cartoons. I at first was going to publish my favorite one of the lot. Then I got to thinking.

One of the themes I have been pushing here and on other blogs is to be careful to avoid that which would drive moderate Muslims into inaction (or into pro-action) against the Radical Islamists. This is one fear I have that pushing these cartoons the way some blogs have been will push moderate Muslims away from our side in the fight against Radical Islamism.

The fellows over at the Jawa Report have taken up the cartoon with great gusto. They have gone from republishing the Danish cartoons to creating their own cartoons. They are very much (knowingly and actively) cruising for a real fatwa. Well, I am and continue to be an avid Jawa Report reader, but I do not approve of their over the top attempts at offending Muslims.

Many people criticize the Bush Administration because he qualifies the enemy in the GWOT with Radical (i.e. Radical Islamists) and many want the President to drop "Radical". That my friends is a mistake. So too, is pushing the cartoon thing too far. Yes, I support the Danes in this, I support those papers republishing the cartoons (after all it is now a legit news story), and blogs who also publish the cartoons; and believe the whole row shows how little faith in Islam many Muslims have.

However, I do not want to push those who may be our friends in the GWOT over to neutrality or to the Radical Islamists, and this is what I fear the Jawa Report's over the top cartooning may do.

Update:
February 3, 2006 3:21pm CST.
Welcome Pajamas Media readers. I have decided to go ahead and publish my favorite Mohammed Cartoon. This collection of photos displayed by Michelle Malkin is what changed my mind on all of this. See for my favorite of the Mohammed Cartoons.
|