Saturday, January 13, 2007

Musical Memories

Right now WCPE (a streaming radio station I have blogged about before) is playing some music by Bella Bartok. I have this piece on CD and obtained it in the early '90s. Can not recall if it was before I went to the UAE or just before.

However when I hear this piece (and other music doing this would be music by Ravel and the Kronos Quartet) I can almost close my eyes and imagine I am in my old apartment in the UAE or driving to Khorfhan with friends. It is amazing how music can bring back such memories.

I find unique smells can do this as well. There is a man's cologne a college buddy of mine wore. I don't know what it is but it is not a common one. Whenever I get a whiff of it I flash back to one of those old fashioned keggers.

Neither my college days or my UAE days seem that long ago.

Labels: , , , ,

|