Monday, March 21, 2005

The Last Bit.

Yesterday returning from Ski Brule we were driving back on MI 189 (which turns into WI 139) and it was a gray day with lake effect snow falling at a fairly good rate. This is one of my favorite types of winter day. I have spent hours in the deer woods in this kind of weather and I enjoy the solitude of it, the quietness, the seeming isolation from the world it gives. I recall one day many years ago sitting on a ridge overlooking a clear-cut. In the middle of the clearing was a large bare dead tree. On top of the tree was a lone bald eagle. I will never forget that sight.

I digress. The trip back from Brule started out like that. Gray and snow and as we were whizzing down the road on the left side I noticed a dead birch tree with two bald eagles perched in its dead branches. We kept going but it was something else.

One-Two-Three
==============================================
Dingy Gray Skis full of Dazzling White Snow
Dead Birch Trees Serving as an Eagle Perch

Brown, White, and Yellow forms in the Tree
Fleeting Glimpse as we Speed On By
Barely Noticing the Birds so Free

One Gray Day Two Birds Three Men.
==============================================
|