Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Words I hate, the particular context, and why.

Kerfuffle. The kerfuffle started when Captain Ed blogged about the Canadian corruption scandal. I hate the word kerfuffle! It sounds so namby-pamby and is used to minimize the seriousness of a discernment. I knew the word when I first heard it so I probably read it somewhere sometime, but this one is used a lot by bloggers, why on earth that is I don't know. Don't use it, it doesn't make you sound sophisticated it makes you sound limp-wristed!

Stewardship We practice stewardship in an environment of love. My church is particularly bad about the word stewardship. Every time I hear it I want to barf! Stewardship is used as a substitute for charity and volunteerism because stewardship sounds more sophisticated than charity and volunteerism. Don't use it speak more plainly!

I see this blog as being the start of another permanent link next to the dictionary.
|