Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Election Results.

Kevin at Lakeshore Laments did a good job with his prognostication.

One he missed on and I called (but not in this venue) was the Appleton smoking referendum. It passed, the citizens of Appleton are now telling Appleton bars, bowling alleys, and restaurants how to run their business. I know I know we already do this and it is allowed. Yes, I agree with that but as many point out just because it is allowed does not mean it wise.

No, this was not aimed at the insurance office down the road as most (if not all) office buildings and businesses prohibit smoking on their own. This was a euphamistically worded action to get the people to prohibit a lawful activity in bars, bowling alleys, and restaurants.

I figured it would pass. Why? Because the supporters of the measure have the easier and more immediate case to make. "What? You oppose the referendum? You actually support more cancer?"

Silly argument. I am not convinced the science behind "second hand smoke" is actually science but agenda driven statistical manipulations.

Full disclosure. I am NOT a regular smoker. I do smoke cigars from time to time (cigarettes not at all). In fact the night after the Lincoln Day Dinner some friends and myself went to Lombardi's in the Paper Valley and did what is to soon become against the law, smoked cigars in the bar.

No, I am not going to sit on my hands the next time the government attacks private property and the free market; though, I wish I could (saying "I told you so") and accuse the people who voted for this particular piece of legislation of encouraging just such action.
|