Sunday, July 03, 2005

The Blink.

The other day as you know I had four wisdom teeth extracted. I was in the chair they hooked me up to a variety of monitoring devices (bp, pulse, ekg, O2, it was fascinating!) and put an IV into me, then they put on the CD I brought along (Celebrate by the UST-Singers) and for whatever reason they skipped the first track and the second one came up which IMO was the perfect track for a trip into la-la land (Dave, if you are reading this, don't take la-la in the same sense you use it with Travis).

I felt the anesthesia coming on and said so and then seemingly blinked my eyes. I woke up, I knew it was over since I could not feel my mouth other than the presence of the gauze packs. I then jokingly said when are we going to start! I am sure it is an old joke and they have heard it many times before.

This is not the first time I have been under a GA but it is the first time I have life experience enough to write about it. When in sixth grade (I guess about 10 years or so) I had my appendix removed and of course that too was done under a GA.

You know, going under a GA is a very different phenomena than going to sleep. When going to sleep we still retain a sense of time, tenuous though it is. It really did seem like an eye blink on Friday. I closed my eyes and when I opened them again at the very first I did not think it was started that I was still going under.

They gave me two sets of pain killers. A garden variety (large doses of ibuproferen) and bottle of stuff that spammers try to sell you! I just took one of the spammer drugs and speaking of la-la land (again Dave, I am not using la-la in the sense you use it with Travis!).
|