Friday, March 20, 2009

Obama on His Bowling Skills

Get him off of a teleprompter and he speaks with the same skill that W spoke with.

I don't think the idea that President Obama heavily relies on a telemprompter it s a bad idea. People lose money and lives based on what the President says and it had better be right. Still I think the notion he is eloquent is silly, he can deliver a good speech that is prepared for him and that he reads off the prompter, don't get me wrong, that is not the easiest thing to do either, but it is not a sign of general intelligence.

His off-prompter remark about his bowling skills is proof positive of that. Now, I don't get all indignant about that either. Let's face facts here, there is a special league for the "Special Olympians" for a reason. Yes, it was one of those remarks many of us would make around our drinking friends but not at work or in polite company.

However, what gets me is the reaction to it and I am not talking about the bloggers or outright partisans. I am talking about media reaction. How many think if President Bush made a similar comment there would not be all sorts of canned outrage being dumped on our laps by the mainstream media. We would hear from numerous offended parents of Special Olympians and I bet we would have some nice sound bites from the leaders of the Special Olympics.

As I have said a number of times before, I am quite used to it and treat it pretty much as the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. Still, it is galling.

I know I know, there are bigger stories out there, right? Uh, I don't buy that for a second. If W, had uttered it that story would be pretty high on the priority list.

The MSM is not a neutral observer & reporter — nor is there any requirement they be neutral.
|