Saturday, April 23, 2005

Car Killer!

Conservative Dialysis picks up on a story about a man arrested for shooting . . . his car! Read the story here. Money quote:
"I'm putting my car out of its misery," 64-year-old John McGivney said after the incident outside an apartment building in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, according to a police report that listed the car as "deceased."
Mr. McGivney should have said: I'm putting my car out of MY misery instead of "I'm putting my car out of its misery..."

I had a moment like this in my life. Not due to the car itself but the ignatzi in the Al-Ain traffic police department. I was leaving the UAE and was trying to sell my car. I had a buyer who was giving me my asking price, so I had some maintenance performed on it, but every time we would visit the traffic police to get the title transferred they could not (more like would) do anything because their computers were down. This happened a couple of times and the couple buying the car (friends of Claudia and mine) eventually gave up (they came like 3 times from Dubai to try to get this done), not only did I have to return the down payment but I was also out of the money spent on the maintenance! I was about to drive that car up to the top of Jebel Hafeet and roll it off the top of the mountain!

Fortunately a friend brainstormed and I managed to do a power of attorney to another friend who sold it for my minimum ask, which was 2/3rds of what the couple from Dubai was willing to pay.
|