Thursday, May 12, 2005

32cnd Brigade.

Today I was talking with a friend of mine and he was telling me he is hearing the 32cnd Brigade is NOT going to Iraq. He tells me he heard Southeast Asia. This means one place, the Filipines.

Those of you who have been reading Blogger Beer know I pay attention to the Filipines, as that is where Claudia is from. I believe a reserve force would not be going anywhere else. Is this a better deal? Yes. The Abu Sayyaf movement is a small one and militarily speaking is very limited. There have been many reports that Abu Sayyaf is about to expand beyond its local and regional scope.

The Filipine National Police have been making arrests of people trying to sneak in from neighboring nations such as Indonesia and Malaysia.

Our forces are there for training the Filipino army in anti-terror tactics and have rules of engagement to correspond with that training mission. They are not to fire unless fired upon, that is bad guys get one free shot and then a world of hurt.

We have had forces in the Filipines for sometime now in this training role and I have yet to hear of a serious fight. I have suspected our forces would be positioned into a blocking location and the Filipino Army would then drive the Abu Sayyaf onto our forces. When Abu Sayyaf sees their way blocked by the US Military they would almost not have a choice but to fire inviting devastating return fire. However, I have not heard of any such clashes.
|