Friday, August 03, 2007

Brendan's Song

Brendan Dassey sentenced to prison. The term is essentially life without parole. The sentence is just, the events and outcome are sad. I do not rejoice but feel a grim satisfaction.

First thing I remember knowing was a lonesome whistle blowing And a young ones dream of growing up to ride On a freight train leaving town not knowing where I'm bound No one could steer me right but mama tried.

One and only rebel child from a family meek and mild My mama seemed to know what lay in store In spite of all my Sunday learning towards the bad I kept on turning 'Til mama couldn't hold me anymore.

And I turned twenty-one in prison doing life without parole
No one could steer me right but mama tried mama tried
Mama tried to raise me better but her pleading I denied
That leaves only me to blame cause mama tried.
[emphasis added]


My dear old daddy rest his soul left my mom a heavy load She tried so very hard to fill his shoes Working hours without rest wanted me to have the best She tried to raise me right but I refused.
Source: Lyrics to Mamma Tried

Labels:

|