Thursday, January 31, 2008

McCainiacs Both Pro & Con

I have commented on this a number of times before and will continue to do so.

I have made it clear I am not a big fan of Señator McCain. I think his campaign finance reform is an affront to the constitution and his comments denigrating Mitt Romney's history sound like they come from a leftist idolater of big government than a Republican. Plus his reluctance to reduce the tax burden, his obeisance to the globaloney warming crowd have me wondering about his worthiness to run as a Republican candidate for President. I have no problem with saying Señator McCain's troubles are his own doing and Señator McCain does not seem to be at all concerned about the trouble he is having with the conservative base.

John McCain is not all bad. He was prescient in calling for a change in strategy in Iraq. While there is more to the turn around in Iraq than simply adding more soldiers his call on it was much more correct than most others.

One thing is for sure: Señator McCain is bucking against conventional wisdom. The conventional wisdom that says candidates work to appeal to the base during primary season and then reverse course and reach out to the middle during general election season.

Many say it seems Señator McCain is the candidate of the MSM. That is he takes the position urged by the MSM. Hmmm, I hope he understands as soon as it is him against Barak or Hillary the MSM will savage him.

Ronald Reagen used to say half a loaf of bread is better than no loaf of bread. I grant with Señator McCain it is more like a quarter loaf of bread but Barak Obama and Hillary are truly no loafs.

Typically many will object this saying you vote your conscience. I understand that, but if your conscience is okay with President Hillary & VP Barak (or any such combination) then sit out and refuse to vote for McCain.

I am hoping Mitt pulls his campaign out this coming Tuesday.

Labels: , , ,

|